I am a firm believer that cookie consumption is directly correlated with happiness. As such, I have had cookies all over the country, and consider myself an expert. This list is a public service, so that no one will ever waste precious calories on a mediocre cookie.
The greatest cookies in America are as follows:
1. Fudge Brownie Chip – Cafe Solterra – Jekyll Island Club Hotel in Glynn County, Georgia
2. Double Chocolate Chip – Meeting Street Cafe – Providence, Rhode Island
3. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – Woodstar Cafe – Hadley, Massachusetts
4. Amish Chocolate Chip – Javalina – Silver City, New Mexico
5. Cowboy Cookie – Handlebar Coffee – Santa Barbara, California
6. Chocolate Chip – Marie Shannon Bakery – Ventura, California
7. Chocolate Chip – We Three Restaurant and Bakery – Three Rivers, California
8. Vegan Chocolate Chip – Earth, Santa Monica, California
9. Chocolate Truffle – Alcove, Los Feliz, California
10. Chocolate Chip – Mama’s Kitchen – Palomar, California
11. “Le Buzz Cookie” – Le Buzz Coffee Shop, Tucson, Arizona
Please note that a proper cookie is always fresh (or lightly toasted to desired meltiness), and enjoyed with a glass of cold milk.
Note the lack of raisins and butterscotch on this list. Raisins are nutritious, and therefore have no place in dessert items. As for butterscotch, that’s just an abomination. Your job not to get creative and attempt to improve the chocolate chip cookie with your own “twist” on a time-honored dessert. It’s to make the best chocolate chip cookie that you can.
Size is a factor. If your cookie is the size of a steering wheel, it’s just that much more to enjoy.
I do accept submissions via mail. For consideration on the list, it must be from a bakery and available to consumers. That’s not to say I won’t appreciate it if you send me a batch that your wife made. Use the contact link to find out where I am. If I test positive from your cookie, I will hunt you down and kill you.
Photo credits: Lyne Lamoureux, Casey Gibson